It is important to get your pages on the proper side of the page for book formatting purposes. For information on adding page numbers to your manuscript, please visit How do I number my pages?
- The actual number of pages in the book should end on an even number.
- Left side pages should be even numbered and right side pages should be odd numbered.
- Blank pages (i.e. end sheets) should be included in the number of pages on your quote.
You can use Microsoft Word to create complex documents. Books and other large documents occasionally require different page number formats in different sections of one document. For example, you can number the index pages with Roman numerals (for example, "i.", "ii.", "iii.") and the main document with Arabic numerals (for example, "1", "2", "3"). This article describes how to set up different page numbering formats.
Format Page Numbering
To format the page numbering for different sections, follow these steps:
- Click between two parts of your document that you want to number differently.
- On the Insert menu, click Break.
- Click Next Page, Even Page, or Odd Page, and then click OK.
For Help on an option, click the question mark, and then click the option.
- Click in the first section.
- On the View menu, click Header and Footer.
- Click in the header or footer where you want the page number.
- On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Insert Page Number.
- On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Format Page Number.
- In the Number format box, click the format that you want for the numbers in this section.
- Do one of the following:
- If you want the page numbering for the first page in this section to start at a particular number other than the first number in the format series, click Start at under Page numbering, and then enter the first number that you want to appear on the first page of the section.
- If you want the page numbering to continue from the previous section, click Continue from previous section.
- Click OK.
- On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Show Next.
- Repeat steps 8 through 11 for the page numbering in this section.
- On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Close.
If you're still having trouble feel free to contact us or check out our book formatting services.